Adventures of Huckleberry Finn [manuscript] : Tom Sawyer's comrade
Gift of the author to the Buffalo, N.Y., Young Men's Association Library (1885,1887). Presented in response to a request for a manuscript from a library official, James Fraser Gluck.Manuscript was received in the following installments:
- Title page sketch, Chapters 12 1/2-14, Chapters 22-30, Chapters 38-42 (487 leaves) in November 1885
- Chapters 31-27 (209 leaves), circa 1886
- Mark Twain's "Notice to Reader," Chapters 1-12 1/2, Chapters 15-21 (665 leaves) in July of 1887, unknown/lost to library when Curator James F. Gluck died unexpectedly while this installment was in his possession. This portion of the manuscript was recovered in 1992 and was found to include previously unpublished material.
- Images 401 – 433 ; Pages 198 – 214
- Images 743 – 851 ; Pages 309 – 363
- Images 1181 – 1185 ; Pages 527 – 529
- Images 1283 – 1325 ; Pages 579 – 600
Huck Finn Manuscript
1885 [that is, 1876-1883]
Huckleberry Finn Manuscript
Buffalo & Erie County Public Library (Publisher of digital)
Digital image copyright 2019 by the Buffalo & Erie County Public Library. Images in this collection are not to be used for any commercial purposes without the expressed written permission of the Buffalo & Erie County Public Library. Users of this website are free to utilize material from this collection for non-commercial and educational purposes.