Browse Items (55 total)

  • Collection: Buffalo Public School Buildings, 1908

SchoolNo.08.jpg
School 8 moved into this building at Masten Avenue and East Utica Street in 1884 after the previous location at Franklin and Church became a more commercial district.  It was designed by the architect Robert A. Bethune (husband of Louise Bethune).…

SchoolNo.09.jpg
Built in the 1880s, this school was located at 2060 Bailey Ave. It was not the first building to house School 9; the original Vine Street location was used as the School for the Colored beginning in 1839. The Bailey Ave building closed in 1980 during…

SchoolNo.11.jpg
This was the third building to house School 11. It was built in 1890 at 102 Elm Street.  A Mechanics Art School was developed here, which later became Technical High School.Elm Vocational High School also began here, and changed to Burgard Vocational…

SchoolNo.12SpruceStreet.jpg
Built in 1898 at 30 Spruce Street, this was the third structure to house School 12. It was replaced in 1958 with a school on nearby Ash Street. The 1898 building no longer exists.

SchoolNo.13.jpg
This was the second School 13 building, constructed in 1856 at 278 Oak Street. An addition enlarged the building in 1883. These structures were replaced in 1913 with a new building on the same site, later known as Buffalo Alternative School.

SchoolNo.15.jpg
This building was the third structure to house School 15 at 518 Oak Street. It was in use until 1965, and has since been demolished.

SchoolNo.16DelawareAve.jpg
In 1899, this building replaced the original School 16 at 939 Delaware Avenue near Bryant Street.  It was last used for educational purposes in 1976, when the school closed during desegregation.The building was converted to apartments in the 1980s…

SchoolNo.18.jpg
In 1908, School 18 consisted of three structures at 770 West Avenue and School Street: The first photograph shows the 3-story "New building," constructed in 1898. The "Old building" pictured next, is a 2-story building from 1874. The last photo is…

SchoolNo.20.jpg
This School 20 replaced previous buildings at East and Amherst Streets in 1877.  A horticulture program began here in 1907, and the school became Black Rock Vocational in 1910. The school later moved to Elmwood Avenue and was renamed McKinley High…

SchoolNo.21.jpg
This building replaced the two-room schoolhouse located at 1000 Hertel Avenue. When it was constructed in 1901, the school was across the street from the grounds of the Pan American Exposition.School 21 served the community until 1980, and the…
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2