Browse Items (55 total)

  • Collection: Buffalo Public School Buildings, 1908

CentralHighSchool.jpg
Originally located at Franklin and Court Streets in Niagara Square, Central High School was Buffalo's first high school. The building pictured was the result of additions between 1854 and 1889. Central High moved to the Hutchinson building on Elmwood…

LafayetteHighSchool.jpg
Buffalo's third high school, located at 370 Lafayette Ave, was built in 1903. The stone, brick and terra-cotta structure in the French Renaissance Revival style was designed by architects August Esenwein and James A. Johnson. The building…

MastenParkHighSchool.jpg
Masten Park High School was Buffalo's second high school.  Located at Masten Avenue and North Street, this is the original building built in 1897. The architectural firm M.E. Beebe and Son won the competition to design the school. It was destroyed by…

NormalSchool.jpg
The Normal School, established in 1871, was a training school for teachers, and children attended the School of Practice within.  This Teachers College later evolved into Buffalo State College. Originally located on Jersey Street in 1871, this…

SchoolNo.01SeventhStreet.jpg
This building at 360 Seventh Street was the third to house School No. 1. Built in 1897, it was later called the "Old Building" when another school was built on Front Ave (later Busti Ave). The old building closed in the 1960s and has since been…

SchoolNo.11.jpg
This was the third building to house School 11. It was built in 1890 at 102 Elm Street.  A Mechanics Art School was developed here, which later became Technical High School.Elm Vocational High School also began here, and changed to Burgard Vocational…

SchoolNo.12SpruceStreet.jpg
Built in 1898 at 30 Spruce Street, this was the third structure to house School 12. It was replaced in 1958 with a school on nearby Ash Street. The 1898 building no longer exists.

SchoolNo.13.jpg
This was the second School 13 building, constructed in 1856 at 278 Oak Street. An addition enlarged the building in 1883. These structures were replaced in 1913 with a new building on the same site, later known as Buffalo Alternative School.

SchoolNo.15.jpg
This building was the third structure to house School 15 at 518 Oak Street. It was in use until 1965, and has since been demolished.

SchoolNo.16DelawareAve.jpg
In 1899, this building replaced the original School 16 at 939 Delaware Avenue near Bryant Street.  It was last used for educational purposes in 1976, when the school closed during desegregation.The building was converted to apartments in the 1980s…
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2